Weekly Food & Agriculture Update- 2.12
WEEKLY FOOD & AGRICULTURE UPDATE
February 12, 2018
A quick look at what’s happening in Washington, D.C. that’s impacting food and agriculture. If you would like to subscribe to the receive the updates right to your inbox, please contact Kerry Lynch
Big Picture Outlook
- Schedule – The House and Senate are both in session this week, though the House will not be meeting today.
- Budget – President Trump will release his fiscal 2019 budget request today. The White House said it would release an addendum to the request because it was written before the latest budget deal in Congress. The proposal is expected to include funding for border security and immigration enforcement, infrastructure, and to combat the opioid epidemic.
- Infrastructure– President Trump is also expected to release his infrastructure proposal The proposal is reported to offer $100 billion in federal incentives to encourage cities and states to invest in road, bridge, and other building projects.
- Immigration– This evening, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will move to open a Senate debate on immigration legislation and the pending expiration of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA program.
- Barbara Stewart was confirmed to be Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- Brett Giroir was confirmed to be Medical Director in the Regular Corps of the Public Health Service and to be an Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Andrei Iancu was confirmed to be Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
The Week Ahead
Tuesday, February 13
- Senate Budget hearing to examine the President’s proposed budget request for fiscal year 2019.
- Senate HELP hearing to examine improving animal health, focusing on reauthorization of Food and Drug Administration Animal Drug User Fees.
Wednesday, February 14
- House Foreign Affairs hearing on Modernizing Food Aid: Improving Effectiveness and Saving Lives
- Senate Commerce nominations hearing to consider nominations for the Federal Trade Comission: Rohit Chopra, Noah Joshua Phillips, and Christine Wilson to be comissioners and Joseph Simmons to be chairman.
- Senate HELP hearing to consider John Ring to be a member of the National Labor Relations Board.
- Senate Small Business hearing to consider the nominations of David Tryon to be Chief Counsel for Advocacy, and Hannibal Ware to be Inspector General, both of the Small Business Administration.
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is coordinating a lobby day in the House to highlight the importance of NAFTA to the food and agriculture industry.
Thursday, February 15
- Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry hearing to examine the state of Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- House Small Business Committee hearing on Restoring Rural America: How Agritech is Revitalizing the Heartland.
A Quick Look Back
- American Farm Bureau Pleased with Ag Provisions in Budget Deal
- Perdue Unveils Farmers.gov, Interactive Website for Agricultural Producers
Pertinent Timing Ticker
- 38 days (24 legislative days) until government funding expires on March 23, 2018.
- 216 total days until the farm bill expires (Sep. 30, 2018).