Weekly Food & Agriculture Update 2.1
WEEKLY FOOD & AGRICULTURE UPDATE
February 1, 2020
- Big Picture Outlook
- The Week Ahead
- A Quick Look Back
- Contact the Team
Big Picture Outlook
Senate Republicans Unveil $600 Billion COVID-19 Proposal- As a counterproposal to President Biden’s $1.9 trillion plan, a group of 10 Republicans shared a significantly smaller proposal that would fund COVID-19 response costs, extend the unemployment boost, provide $1,000 checks to lower-income Americans, extend SNAP increases through September 30, and increase PPP funding.
Agriculture Secretary Nominee Tom Vilsack to Begin Confirmation Process- Tom Vilsack’s confirmation hearing by the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee will occur on Tuesday, February 2 at 10:30 AM ET. He will likely have a swift confirmation. Out of the gate, his priorities will be on the COVID-19 response, hunger relief, social justice, and climate change.
EPA Administrator Nominee Michael Regan to Begin Confirmation Process- Michael Regan’s confirmation hearing by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee will occur on Wednesday, February 3 at 2:00 PM ET. Like Vilsack, Regan likely won’t have any difficulty receiving confirmation. He has been serving as Secretary of North Carolina’s Department of Environmental Quality.
Incoming Senate Agriculture Chair Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) Outlines Priorities- Sen. Stabenow recently outlined many of her priorities for the new Congress, including addressing the hunger crisis and food supply chain issues stemming from the pandemic as well as managing the climate crisis. Some examples of addressing the climate crisis are providing voluntary producer-led opportunities for farmers to cut down emissions and store more carbon while using the Growing Climate Solutions Act as a starting point for others. Incoming Ranking Member John Boozman (R-AR) has also stated his dedication to sustainable agriculture and local food systems.
The Week Ahead
- 10:30 AM EST: Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, Forestry will hold a hearing to examine the nomination of Tom Vilsack to be Secretary of Agriculture
- 10:00 AM EST: Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions will hold a hearing to examine the nomination of Miguel Cardona to be Secretary of Education
- 2:00 PM EST: Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works will hold a hearing to examine the nomination of Michael Regan to be the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency
- 10:00 AM EST: Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions will hold a hearing to examine the nomination of Marty Walsh to be Secretary of Labor
A Quick Look Back
- “Congressional Budget Office Predicts Pre-Pandemic Economy Level This Year” Politico
- “Dairy Farms Could Slash Greenhouse Gas Emissions to Net-Zero within Five Years” WWF
Contact the Team