Weekly Food & Agriculture Update 5.14
WEEKLY FOOD & AGRICULTURE UPDATE
May 14, 2018
A quick look at what’s happening in Washington, D.C. that’s impacting food and agriculture. If you would like to subscribe to the receive the updates right to your inbox, please contact Marissa Dake.
Big Picture Outlook
- Schedule- The House and Senate are in session this week.
- Farm Bill- The House is expected to vote on the 2018 Farm Bill this week. The House Rules Committee meets Tuesday and Wednesday to consider how long and under what rules the full body will debate the bill. Click here for a list of filed amendments.
- NAFTA Deadline Falls Thursday- After five full days of ministerial-level negotiations last week, there is little forward progress on efforts to renegotiate NAFTA. To complicate things, House Speaker Paul Ryan said the administration has until May 17 — this Thursday — tosubmit a final NAFTA deal if Congress is to vote on the agreement this year. Some industry groups have begun to speak out against the push to conclude the agreement, fearing that the U.S. could lower its standards and “only make things worse.”
- Lighthizer Vows to Fix Dairy Woes- U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer wrote a letter to lawmakers, sharing that he is personally working to address the Canadian milk pricing program harming U.S. dairy imports in the NAFTA renegotiation. Last year, the Canadian dairy industry set the price of skim milk powder at the lowest world price, leading to a glut of the product that has distorted the market and priced out exports of U.S. ultra-filtered milk. Lightizer said the issue would be “critical to securing a modernized NAFTA worthy of congressional support.” More here.
Nominations & Confirmations
- There were three confirmations for the Department of Justice, two for the Judiciary, and one for the Department of State last week.
The Week Ahead
- The House Rules Committee will meet to formulate a rule on three bills– one of which is H.R. 2, the 2018 Farm Bill.
- House Appropriations Subcommittee on the Interior and Environment will host a markup of the FY19 bill.
- The Senate Appropriations Interior-Environment Subcommittee will hold a hearing on the EPA’s FY19 budget.
- House Rules will meet to consider amendments to the 2018 Farm Bill.
- House Appropriations will hold a full committee markup of its FY19 Agriculture-FDA and Energy-Water bills.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will hold a meeting on antibiotic stewardship for animal and plant health. The Presidential Advisory Council on Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria will present.
A Quick Look Back
- Rural broadband gets another boost in House spending bill
- Secretary Perdue Names FSA Administrator
- Secretary Perdue Announces FSIS Key Leadership
- Secretary Perdue Names Bruce Summers AMS Administrator
- Senate Ag Leaders Introduce Bipartisan Farmer Veteran Legislation
Pertinent Timing Ticker
139 total days until the farm bill expires (Sep. 30, 2018).