Weekly Food & Agriculture Update 5.17
WEEKLY FOOD & AGRICULTURE UPDATE
May 17, 2021
- Big Picture Outlook
- The Week Ahead
- A Quick Look Back
- Contact the Team
Big Picture Outlook
Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Confirmed by Senate– Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Jewel Bronaugh was confirmed by a voice vote from the full Senate on May 13. Following the vote, she received praise from Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and Ranking Member John Boozman (R-AR). Once sworn in, she will help carry out administration priorities, including distributing pandemic relief to farmers and hungry families, enlisting the agriculture industry to fight against climate change, and bringing greater equity to USDA programs.
Biden to Release Full Budget Request May 27- Following Biden’s skinny budget request from April 15, this request will flesh out the fiscal year 2022 proposal, which begins October 1. It will include proposals for mandatory spending and tax reform, discretionary spending details and will likely tie in the president’s vision for infrastructure and jobs.
USMCA Commission to Meet May 17- The first U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement Free Trade Commission will officially hold its annual meeting virtually on May 17 and 18. Leading up to the meeting, U.S. industries, including agriculture, have been pushing for stricter enforcement of USCMA trade rules. The U.S. Trade Representative is expected to raise dairy and softwood lumber issues with Canada, as well as labor and agricultural barriers with Mexico.
GOP Infrastructure Counterproposal Expected Soon- Senate Republicans are expected to have a counterproposal on infrastructure spending by May 19 that will have more details and may be larger than their initial $600 billion offer. President Biden has said he “is open to a range of ideas, including ones he didn’t propose” when talking about raising funds for this expenditure.
The Week Ahead
Tuesday, May 18
- 10:00 AM EST: Senate Finance Committee holds a hearing on Funding and Financing Options to Bolster American Infrastructure
- 10:00 AM EST: House Agriculture Committee holds a member day hearing
- 10:00 AM EST: House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies holds a member day hearing
- 10:30 AM EST: House Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government holds a hearing on The Need for Universal Broadband: Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic
Wednesday, May 19
- 10:00 AM EST: House Ways and Means Committee holds a hearing on Leveraging the Tax Code for Infrastructure Investment
Thursday, May 20
- 9:30 AM EST: Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Meeting holds a hearing to examine federal, state, and private forestlands, focusing on opportunities for addressing climate change
- 10:00 AM EST: Senate Energy and Natural Resources holds a hearing to examine the role of reforestation, active forest management, and carbon storage in fostering resiliency
To see a full list of House and Senate Committee business, visit here.
A Quick Look Back
“Farm Groups Press USTR to Appoint Chief Ag Negotiator” Red River Farm Network
“USTR Seeks Better Trade Remedy Than 232 Tariffs” Industry Update
“EPA Revokes Trump-Era Policy That Loosened Clean Air Rules” Associated Press
“High Farm Incomes Lead to Rising Land Values” High Plains Public Radio
“Ethanol Exports to China Soar in March” NewsDakota
Contact the Team
Feel free to contact Michael Torrey, Tara Smith, Danielle Nelson, Cassandra Kuball, James Glueck, Jessica Kuney, Barbara Patterson, Trey Forsyth, Perry Harlow, or Brandon Barnett with any questions or comments.