Weekly Food & Agriculture Update 7.12
WEEKLY FOOD & AGRICULTURE UPDATE
July 12, 2021
- Big Picture Outlook
- The Week Ahead
- A Quick Look Back
- Contact the Team
Big Picture Outlook
President Biden Signs Executive Order to Address Competition – On July 9, The White House announced an executive order to promote competition throughout the U.S. economy and reduce concentration within markets in major industries. The sweeping executive order takes aim at concentrated markets in industries including agriculture, airlines, broadband and banking. Agencies will be working on details and gathering stakeholder input through the federal rulemaking process in the months ahead.
USDA Extends Transparency Efforts in Product of USA Labeling Following New FTC Rule – The Federal Trade Commission finalized a new rule that will crack down on marketers who make false, unqualified claims that their products are Made in the USA. “I congratulate the FTC on strengthening this important protection for American consumers. USDA will complement the FTC’s efforts with our own initiative on labeling for products regulated by FSIS, an area of consumer labeling where USDA has a long tradition of protecting consumers from false and misleading labels…” USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a statement.
Senate GOP Leader Urges White House to Focus on Bipartisan Infrastructure Agreement – As work continues on bipartisan infrastructure legislation, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is pressuring President Joe Biden and congressional Democratic leaders to weaken the link between the bipartisan framework deal and a bigger, progressive-leaning spending bill. The Senate GOP leader called on Biden to request that Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Speaker Nancy Pelosi decouple passage of the bipartisan bill from a second, Democrats-only effort set to raise corporate taxes and increase spending on education, child care and climate change.
The Week Ahead
Monday, July 12
- 12:00 PM EST: House Committee on Agriculture holds a hearing on examining the SNAP Benefit Cliff.
- 1:00 PM EST: House Appropriations Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies holds markup.
Tuesday, July 13
- 1:00 PM EST: House Small Business Subcommittee on Underserved, Agricultural, and Rural Development holds a hearing on Rural American Recovery and the role of Small Business and Entrepreneurship.
Thursday, July 15
- 9:30 AM EST: Senate Committee on Agriculture holds a hearing to examine the nomination of Jennifer Lester Moffitt to be Under Secretary of Agriculture for Marketing and Regulatory Programs.
- 10:30 AM EST: Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation holds hearing to examine the implementation of supply chain resiliency.
To see a full list of House and Senate Committee business, visit here.
A Quick Look Back
“Oregon Adopts Heat Safety Rule To Protect Farm Labor” Successful Farming
“Soybeans, Grains Higher In Overnight Trading” Successful Farming
“Flooding Continues In Parts Of Missouri And Western Illinois” Successful Farming
“Speculators Curb Net-longs In Corn To Eight-Month Low” Successful Farming
Contact the Team